Reading Time: < 1 minute
Spread the love
- Do you worry about how much you weigh?
- What do you think of your body/weight?
- Do you diet?
- Do you ever make yourself sick after a meal?
- Low weight not due to other illness
- Persistent refusal to maintain weight (cf depression – don‟t want to eat). Obsession with food, weight and thinness
- 90% female, usual onset from 11 – 19 years
- Media message: thin = beautiful
- Already painfully aware of body image due to changes in puberty
- Stressful life situations
- Family dynamics
- Something they can have control over when they don‟t have control in other areas of their lives
- Failure to achieve weight control ® ¯sense of failure ® try harder
- Deliberate self-starvation
- Fear of gaining weight
- Denial of hunger
- Constant exercising
- Self perception of being fat
- Absent or irregular periods
- May purge (vomiting, laxatives)
- Complications: starvation, heart, osteomalacia, ¯fertility
- Purging a more dominant feature
- Don‟t usually loose so much weight