“Shake paws” is a classic, fun dog trick which is pretty simply to train a dog to perform. Most dogs can pick this trick up quickly. After only a few training sessions your dog will be offering up his paw to shake every time someone asks.
Nothing fancy is required to train your dog to shake paws. All you need is your dog and a handful of your dog’s favorite treats. If you decide to use a clicker in your training, you will need your clicker as well.
- Ask your dog to sit. If your dog hasn’t mastered the command “sit”, you need to go back and get that skill down pat before moving on to the next step.
- Place a treat in one hand and show your dog it is there. Now, close your fist to cover the treat so he can’t get to it. Give the command “Shake” while waving the fisted treat under his nose to keep his interest.
- Wait until your dog starts to dig in your hand to get to the treat. Dogs will usually start by sniffing around but when that doesn’t work they will resort to pawing at your hand to get to the treat.
- As soon as your dog touches your hand with a paw, click your clicker or tell him “good” then open your fist to allow him the treat inside.
- Practice the “shake” command for about 5 minutes, two to four times a day. Soon enough, your dog will be offering up his paw the instant you give the “shake” command.