1) What is HTML?
HTML is short for HyperText Markup Language, and is the language of the World Wide Web. It is the standard text formatting language used for creating and displaying pages on the Web. HTML documents are made up of two things: the content and the tags that formats it for proper display on pages.
2) What are tags?
Content is placed in between HTML tags 0in order to properly format it. It makes use of the less than symbol (). A slash symbol is also used as a closing tag. For example: [crayon-5460b56aaa96e528239727/]
3) Do all HTML tags come in pair?
No, there are single HTML tags that does not need a closing tag. Examples are the
tag and tags.
4) What are some of the common lists that can be used when designing a page?
You can insert any or a combination of the following list types:
– ordered list
– unordered list
– definition list
– menu list
– directory list Each of this list types makes use of a different tag set to compose
5) How do you insert a comment in html?
Comments in html begins with “”. For example: [crayon-5460b56aaa976937045998/]
6) Do all character entities display properly on all systems?
No, there are some character entities that cannot be displayed when the operating system that the browser is running on does not support the characters. When that happens, these characters are displayed as boxes.
7) What is image map?
Image map lets you link to many different web pages using a single image. You can define shapes in images that you want to make part of an image mapping.
8 ) What is the advantage of collapsing white space?
White spaces are blank sequence of space characters, which is actually treated as a single space character in html. Because the browser collapses multiple space into a single space, you can indent lines of text without worrying about multiple spaces. This enables you to organize the html code into a much more readable format.
9) Can attribute values be set to anything or are there specific values that they accept?
Some attribute values can be set to only predefined values. Other attributes can accept any numerical value that represents the number of pixels for a size.
10) How do you insert a copyright symbol on a browser page?
To insert the copyright symbol, you need to type © or & #169; in an HTML file.
11) How do you create links to sections within the same page?
Links can be created using the tag, with referencing through the use of the number (#) symbol. For example, you can have one line as BACK TO TOP, which would result in the words “BACK TO TOP” appearing on the webpage and links to a bookmark named topmost. You then create a separate tag command like somewhere on the top of the same webpage so that the user will be linked to that spot when he clicked on “BACK TO TOP”.
12) Is there any way to keep list elements straight in an html file?
By using indents, you can keep the list elements straight. If you indent each subnested list in further than the parent list that contains it, you can at a glance determine the various lists and the elements that it contains.
13) If you see a web address on a magazine, to which web page does it point?
Every web page on the web can have a separate web address. Most of these addresses are relative to the top-most web page. The published web address that appears within magazines typically points this top-most page. From this top level page, you can access all other pages within the web site.
14) What is the use of using alternative text in image mapping?
When you use image maps, it can easily become confusing and difficult to determine which hotspots corresponds with which links. Using alternative text lets you put a descriptive text on each hotspot link.
15) Do older html files work on newer browsers?
Yes, older html files are compliant to the HTML standard. Most older files work on the newer browsers, though some features may not work.
16) Does a hyperlink apply to text only?
No, hyperlinks can be used on text as well as images. That means you can convert an image into a link that will allow user to link to another page when clicked. Just surround the image within the … tag combinations.
17) If the user’s operating system does not support the needed character, how can the symbol be represented?
In cases wherein their operating system does not support a particular character, it is still possible to display that character by showing it as an image instead.
18) How do you change the number type in the middle of a list?
The tag includes two attributes – type and value. The type attribute can be used to change the numbering type for any list item. The value attribute can change the number index.
19) What are style sheets?
Style sheets enable you to build consistent, transportable, and well-defined style templates. These templates can be linked to several different web pages, making it easy to maintain and change the look and feel of all the web pages within a site.
20) What bullet types are available?
With ordered lists, you can select to use a number of different list types including alphabetical and Roman numerals. The type attribute for unordered lists can be set to disc, square, or circle.
21) How do you create multicolored text in a webpage?
To create text with different colors, use the … tags for every character that you want to apply a color. You can use this tag combination as many times as needed, surrounding a single character or an entire word.
22) Why are there both numerical and named character entity values?
The numerical values are taken from the ASCII values for the various characters, but these can be difficult to remember. Because of this, named character entity values were created to make it easier for web page designers to use.
23) Write a HTML table tag sequence that outputs the following: 50 pcs 100 500 10 pcs 5 50
24) What is the advantage of grouping several checkboxes together?
Although checkboxes don’t affect one another, grouping checkboxes together helps to organize them. Checkbox buttons can have their own name and do not need to belong to a group. A single web page can have many different groups of checkboxes.
25) What will happen if you overlap sets of tags?
If two sets of html tags are overlapped, only the first tag will be recognized. You will recognize this problem when the text does not display properly on the browser screen.
26) What are applets?
Applets are small programs that can be embedded within web pages to perform some specific functionality, such as computations, animations, and information processing. Applets are written using the Java language.
27) What if there is no text between the tags or if a text was omitted by mistake? Will it affect the display of the html file?
If there is no text between the tags, then there is nothing to format, so no formatting will appear. Some tags, especially tags without a closing tag like the
tag, do not require any text between them.
28) Is it possible to set specific colors for table borders?
You can specify a border color using style sheets, but the colors for a table that does not use style sheets will be the same as the text color.
29) How do you create a link that will connect to another web page when clicked?
To create hyperlinks, or links that connect to another web page, use the href tag. The general format for this is: text Replace “site” with the actual page url that is supposed to be linked to when the text is clicked.
30) What other ways can be used to align images and wrap text?
Tables can be used to position text and images. Another useful way to wrap text around an image is to use style sheets.
31) Can a single text link point to two different web pages?
No. The tag can accept only a single href attribute, and it can point to only a single web page.
32) What is the difference between the directory and menu lists and the unordered list?
The key differences is that the directory and menu lists do not include attributes for changing the bullet style.
33) Can you change the color of bullets?
The bullet color is always the same as that of the first character in the list litem. If you surround the and the first character with a set of tags with the color attribute set, the bullet color and the first character will be a different color from the text.
34) What are the limits of the text field size?
The default size for a text field is around 13 characters, but if you include the size attribute, you can set the size value to be as low as 1. The maximum size value will be determined by the browser width. If the size attribute is set to 0, the size will be set to the default size of 13 characters.