3 – Avoiding Negative Personality Traits
1. Avoid rigidity and stubbornness.
- Imagine that things can be confusing, unclear, and gray. And that’s okay.
- Imagine alternative ways of understanding a situation or person. Avoid assuming that there is no alternative way of thinking.
2. Exercise patience rather than anger.
- Identify ways to control your anger.
- Look at what triggers your frustration, and find ways to reduce these stressors.
- Instead of thinking about how much something makes you anxious and angry, take a minute. Breathe. Imagine yourself in a calm and relaxed place.
3. Help others more.
- Do things that you normally would avoid or complain about. Help others that need your help.
- Focus first on how you can help those closest to you–your family, relatives, friends, neighbors, classmates, or co-workers.
- Branch out of your comfort zone, and consider volunteering your time to others. Give back to your community.
4. Speak up more.
- Consider taking a public speaking course. There are also many meetings nationwide via Toastmasters that help you learn public speaking: https://www.toastmasters.org/
- If you are in school, there may also be debate classes or other opportunities to learn public speaking.
- Try talking more often with acquaintances through school, social gatherings, work. Build your communication skills.
5. Stop comparing yourself too much to others.
- Instead of wishing for things to be better, be grateful for you’ve got. Remember at least three things each day that make you grateful for your life.
- Appreciate what the world has to offer rather than fixating on how you’ve been ill-treated.
4. Believing in Yourself
1. Remember that each person is unique.
- Avoid seeing your personality as static. You will likely change over time. You may become less shy. You may become more open-minded. Or maybe, you become more stubborn as you grow older.
- Whatever your personality is or becomes, it is adaptable. It is uniquely yours, and you have the ability to adapt it, change it, or keep it as is.
2. Find your inner happiness.
- Learn ways to cultivate happiness in yourself.
- Do relaxing activities. Meditate. Listen to music. Take a walk in nature. Take time for yourself.
3. Focus on loving yourself.
- Avoid negative talk or thinking. If there are others putting you down, avoid defining yourself on their terms. You determine who you are.
- Find supports that boost your positive personality traits. Find others that welcome you, and make you feel loved. Share with them your concerns.
- Be kind to yourself every day.