Quotes Of Swami Vivekananda
1. All the powers in the universe are already ours. It is we who have put our hands before our eyes and cry that it is dark.
2. “Arise, awake, sleep no more; within each of you there is the power to remove all wants and all miseries. Believe this, and that power will be manifested.
3. Be free; hope for nothing from anyone. I am sure if you look back upon your lives you will find that you were always vainly trying to get help from others which never came.
4. Be not afraid, for all great power throughout the history of humanity has been with the people. From out of their ranks have come all the greatest geniuses of the world, and history can only repeat itself. Be not afraid of anything. You will do marvellous work.
5. Be not in despair, the way is very difficult, like walking on the edge of a razor; yet despair not, arise, awake, and find the ideal, the goal.
6. Be strong, my young friends; that is my advice to you. You will be nearer to Heaven through football than through the study of the Gita. These are bold words; but I have to say them, for I love you. I know where the shoe pinches.
7. Calm and silent and steady work, and no newspaper humbug, no name-making, you must always remember.
8. Come out into the broad open light of day, come out from the little narrow paths, for how can the infinite soul rest content to live and die in small ruts? Come out into the universe of Light. Everything in the universe is yours, stretch out your arms and embrace it with love. If you ever felt you wanted to do that, you have felt God.
9. Cowards only sin, brave men never, no, not even in mind.
10. Do not be afraid of a small beginning. great things come afterwards. Be courageous. Do not try to lead your brethren, but serve them. The brutal mania for leading has sunk many a great ships in the waters of life. Take care especially of that, i.e. be unselfish even unto death, and work.
11. Do not figure out big plans at first, but, begin slowly, feel your ground and proceed up and up
12. Do not wait for anybody or anything. Do whatever you can. Build your hope on none.
13. Go on bravely. Do not expect success in a day or a year. Always hold on to the highest. Be steady. Avoid jealousy and selfishness. Be obedient and eternally faithful to the cause of truth, humanity, and your country, and you will move the world.
14. Have faith in yourselves, and stand up on that faith and be strong; that is what we need.
15. Hold on to your own ideal. . . . Above all, never attempt to guide or rule others, or, as the Yankees say, “boss” others. Be the servant of all.
16. I hate cowardice; I will have nothing to do with cowards or political nonsense. I do not believe in any politics. God and truth are the only politics in the world, everything else is trash.
17. I want each one of my children to be a hundred times greater than I could ever be. Everyone of you must be a giant— must, that is my word. Obedience, readiness, and love for the cause— if you have these three, nothing can hold you back.
18. If you are really my children, you will fear nothing, stop at nothing. You will be like lions. We must rouse India and the whole world. No cowardice. I will take no nay. Do you understand?
19. If you can think that infinite power, infinite knowledge and indomitable energy lie within you, and if you can bring out that power, you also can become like me.
20. Infinite patience, infinite purity, and infinite perseverance are the secret of success in a good cause.
21. It is our own mental attitude which makes the world what it is for us. Our thoughts make things beautiful, our thoughts make things ugly. The whole world is in our own minds. Learn to see things in the proper light
22. Know that every time you feel weak, you not only hurt yourself but also the cause. Infinite faith and strength are the only conditions of success.
23. Let people say whatever they like, stick to your own convictions, and rest assured, the world will be at your feet. They say, ‘Have faith in this fellow or that fellow’, but, I say, ‘Have faith in yourself first’. that’s the way.
24. Man is born to conquer nature and not to follow it.
25. Man never dies, nor is he ever born; bodies die, but he never dies.
26. Neither numbers nor powers nor wealth nor learning nor eloquence nor anything else will prevail, but purity, living the life, in one word, anubhuti, realisation. Let there be a dozen such lion-souls in each country, lions who have broken their own bonds, who have touched the Infinite, whose whole soul is gone to Brahman, who care neither for wealth nor power nor fame, and these will be enough to shake the world.
27. Never mind the struggles, the mistakes. I never heard a cow tell a lie, but it is only a cow— never a man. So never mind these failures, these little backslidings; hold the ideal a thousand times, and if you fail a thousand times, make the attempt once more.
28. Never think there is anything impossible for the soul. It is the greatest heresy to think so. If there is sin, this is the only sin ? to say that you are weak, or others are weak.
29. No great work can be achieved by humbug. It is through love, a passion for truth, and tremendous energy, that all undertakings are accomplished.
30. No need for looking behind. FORWARD! We want infinite energy, infinite zeal, infinite courage, and infinite patience, then only will great things achieved.
31. Oh, if only you knew yourselves! You are souls; you are Gods. If ever I feel like blaspheming, it is when I call you man.
32. Pay no attention whatsoever to newspaper nonsense or criticism. Be sincere and do your duty. Everything will come all right. Truth must triumph.
33. Perfect sincerity, holiness, gigantic intellect, and all-conquering will. Let only a handful of men work with these, and the whole world will be revolutionized.
34. Persevere on, my brave lads, We have only just begun. Never despond! Never say enough!
35. Purity, perseverance, and energy— these three I want.
36. Purity, patience and perseverance overcome all obstacles. All great things must of necessity be slow.
37. Say, “I can do everything.” “Even if poison of a snake is powerless if you can firmly deny it.”
38. Say, “This misery that I am suffering is of my own doing, and that very thing proves that it will have to be undone by me alone.”
39. Take courage and work on. Patience and steady work— this is the only way.
40. Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life – think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. Let the brain, muscles, nerves, every part of your body, be full of that idea, and just leave every other idea alone. This is the way to success, that is way great spiritual giants are produced.
41. “The earth is enjoyed by heroes”— this is the unfailing truth. Be a hero. Always say, “I have no fear”.
42. The remedy for weakness is not brooding over weakness, but thinking of strength.
43. This is the great fact: strength is life, weakness is death. Strength is felicity, life eternal, immortal; weakness is constant strain and misery: weakness is death.
44. To succeed, you must have tremendous perseverance, tremendous will. ‘I will drink the ocean’, says the persevering soul, ‘at my will mountains will crumble up.’ Have that sort of energy, that sort of will, work hard, and you will reach the goal.
45. To work with undaunted energy! What fear! Who is powerful enough to thwart you.
46. Truth can be stated in a thousand different ways, yet each one can be true.
47. We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. If what we are now has been the result of our own past actions, it certainly follows that whatever we wish to be in future can be produced by our present actions; so we have to know how to act.
48. We are what our thoughts have made us; so take care about what you think. Words are secondary. Thoughts live; they travel far.
49. We reap what we sow. we are the makers of our own fate. None else has the blame, none has the praise.
50. Whatever you think, that you will be. If you think yourselves weak, weak you will be; if you think yourselves strong, strong you will be; if you think yourselves impure, impure you will be; if you think yourselves pure, pure you will be.
Arise, awake, stop not until your goal is achieved.
Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life – think of it, dream of it, and live on that idea. Let the brain, muscles, nerves, every part of your body, be full of that idea, and just leave every other idea alone. This is the way to success that is way great spiritual giants are produced.
All love is expansion, all selfishness is contraction. Love is therefore the only law of life. He who loves lives, he who is selfish is dying. Therefore love for love’s sake, because it is law of life, just as you breathe to live.
The great secret of true success, of true happiness, is this: the man or woman who asks for no return, the perfectly unselfish person, is the most successful.
The greatest religion is to be true to your own nature. Have faith in yourselves.
Comfort is no test of truth. Truth is often far from being comfortable.
They alone live, who live for others.
We reap what we sow we are the makers of our own fate. The wind is blowing; those vessels whose sails are unfurled catch it, and go forward on their way, but those which have their sails furled do not catch the wind. Is that the fault of the wind? We make our own destiny.
Neither seeks nor avoids, take what comes.
Was there ever a more horrible blasphemy than the statement that all the knowledge of God is confined to this or that book? How dare men call God infinite, and yet try to compress Him within the covers of a little book!
Man is to become divine by realizing the divine. Idols or temples, or churches or books, are only the supports, the help of his spiritual childhood.
Inspiring Swami Vivekananda Quotes
Each work has to pass through these stages—ridicule, opposition, and then acceptance. Those who think ahead of their time are sure to be misunderstood.
We came to enjoy; we are being enjoyed. We came to rule; we are being ruled. We came to work; we are being worked. All the time, we find that. And this comes into every detail of our life.
“The brain and muscles must develop simultaneously. Iron nerves with an intelligent brain — and the whole world is at your feet.
The moment I have realized God sitting in the temple of every human body, the moment I stand in reverence before every human being and see God in him – that moment I am free from bondage, everything that binds vanishes, and I am free.
All truth is eternal. Truth is nobody’s property; no race, no individual can lay any exclusive claim to it. Truth is the nature of all souls.
Even when you sleep, keep the sword of discrimination at the head of your bed, so that covetousness cannot approach you even in dream
Swami Vivekananda Quotes About Action
Look upon every man, woman, and everyone as God. You cannot help anyone, you can only serve: serve the children of the Lord, serve the Lord Himself, if you have the privilege.
The will is not free – it is a phenomenon bound by cause and effect – but there is something behind the will which is free.
There is no limit to the power of the human mind. The more concentrated it is, the more power is brought to bear on one point.
Even the greatest fool can accomplish a task if it were after his or her heart. But the intelligent ones are those who can convert every work into one that suits their taste.
The world is ready to give up its secrets if we only know how to knock, how to give it the necessary blow. The strength and force of the blow come through concentration.
The Land where humanity has attained its highest towards gentleness, towards generosity, towards purity, towards calmness – it is India.
This is the first lesson to learn: be determined not to curse anything outside, not to lay the blame upon anyone outside, but stand up, lay the blame on yourself. You will find that is always true. Get hold of yourself.
This I have seen in life—those who are overcautious about themselves fall into dangers at every step; those who are afraid of losing honor and respect, get only disgrace; and those who are always afraid of loss, always lose.
Those who work at a thing heart and soul not only achieve success in it but through their absorption in that they also realize the supreme truth—Brahman. Those who work at a thing with their whole heart receive help from God.
I, for one, thoroughly believe that no power in the universe can withhold from anyone anything they really deserve.
Swami Vivekananda Quotes About Fear
Fear is death, fear is sin, fear is hell, fear is unrighteousness, and fear is wrong life. All the negative thoughts and ideas that are in the world have proceeded from this evil spirit of fear.
If there is one word that you find coming out like a bomb from the Upanishads, bursting like a bombshell upon masses of ignorance, it is the word “fearlessness.”
First, believe in the world—that there is meaning behind everything.
“Face the brutes.” That is a lesson for all life—face the terrible, face it boldly. Like the monkeys, the hardships of life fall back when we cease to flee before them.
As long as we believe ourselves to be even the least different from God, fear remains with us; but when we know ourselves to be the One, fear goes; of what can we be afraid?
Desire, ignorance, and inequality—this is the trinity of bondage.
Great work requires great and persistent effort for a long time. … Character has to be established through a thousand stumbles.
Learning and wisdom are superfluities, the surface glitter merely, but it is the heart that is the seat of all power.
This is the great lesson that we are here to learn through myriads of births and heavens and hells—that there is nothing to be asked for, desired for, beyond one’s spiritual Self (atman).
Stand as a rock; you are indestructible. You are the Self (atman), the God of the universe.
If superstition enters, the brain is gone.
Swami Vivekananda Quotes on Divinity
There is one thing to be remembered: that the assertion ‘I am God’ cannot be made with regard to the sense-world.
The mind is but the subtle part of the body. You must retain great strength in your mind and words.
All the powers in the universe are already ours. It is we who have put our hands before our eyes and cry that it is dark.
Religion is the manifestation of the Divinity already in man.
Astrology and all these mystical things are generally signs of a weak mind. Therefore as soon as they are becoming prominent in our minds, we should see a physician, take good food, and rest.
As soon as I think that I am a little body, I want to preserve it, to protect it, to keep it nice at the expense of other bodies; then you and I become separate. First get rid of the delusion ‘I am the body’, then only will we want real knowledge.
A few heart-whole, sincere, and energetic men and women can do more in a year than a mob in a century.
You have to grow from the inside out. None can teach you, none can make you spiritual. There is no other teacher but your own soul.
The essence of Vedanta is that there is but one Being and that every soul is that Being in full, not a part of that Being.
So long as there is desire or want, it is a sure sign that there is imperfection. A perfect, free being cannot have any desire.
However we may receive blows, and however knocked about we may be, the Soul is there and is never injured. We are that Infinite.
This life is a hard fact; work your way through it boldly, though it may be adamantine; no matter, the soul is stronger.
When we let loose our feelings, we waste so much energy, shatter our nerves, disturb our minds, and accomplish very little work.
The less passion there is, the better we work. The calmer we are the better for us and the more the amount of work we can do.
The varieties of religious belief are an advantage, since all faiths are good, so far as they encourage us to lead a religious life. The more sects there are, the more opportunities there are for making a successful appeal to the divine instinct in all of us.
You are the soul, free and eternal, ever free, ever blessed. Have faith enough and you will be free in a minute.
We are ever free if we would only believe it, only have faith enough.
Don’t look back – forward, infinite energy, infinite enthusiasm, infinite daring, and infinite patience. Then alone can great deeds be accomplished.
The greatest religion is to be true to your own nature. Have faith in yourselves!
Every individual is a center for the manifestation of a certain force. This force has been stored up as the resultant of our previous works, and each one of us is born with this force at our back.
You cannot believe in God until you believe in yourself.
Nature, body, mind go to death, not we. We neither go nor come. The man Vivekananda is in nature, is born and dies. But the Self we see as Vivekananda is never born and never dies. It is the eternal and unchangeable Reality.
It is the duty of every person to contribute in the development and progress of India.
‘Comfort’ is no test of truth; on the contrary, truth is often far from being ‘comfortable’.
We are what our thoughts have made us; so take care about what you think. Words are secondary. Thoughts live; they travel far.
Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life – think of it, dream of it and just leave every other idea alone. This is the way to success.
Truth can be stated in a thousand different ways, yet each one can be true.
It is our own mental attitude which makes the world what it is for us. Our thought make things beautiful, our thoughts make things ugly. The whole world is in our own minds. Learn to see things in the proper light.
As body, mind, or soul, you are a dream; you really are Being, Consciousness, Bliss (satchidananda). You are the God of this universe.
Impurity is a mere superimposition under which your real nature has become hidden. But the real you is already perfect, already strong.
Are great things ever done smoothly? Time, patience, and indomitable will must show.
Truth does not pay homage to any society, ancient or modern. Society has to pay homage to Truth or die.
Work and worship are necessary to take away the veil, to lift off the bondage and illusion.
Whatever you think, that you will be. If you think yourself weak, weak you will be; if you think yourself strong, strong you will be.
It is the patient building of character, the intense struggle to realize the truth, which alone will tell in the future of humanity.
We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves.
Where can we go to find God if we cannot see Him in our own hearts and in every living being.
This, I have seen in life – those who are overcautious about themselves fall into dangers at every step. Those who are afraid of losing honor and respect, get only disgrace; and those who are always afraid of loss, always lose.
The world is the great gymnasium where we come to make ourselves strong.
Be a hero. Always say, ‘I have no fear.’ Tell this to everyone – ‘Have no fear.’
To devote your life to the good of all and to the happiness of all is religion. Whatever you do for your own sake is not religion.
We reap what we sow. We are the makers of our own fate. None else has the blame, none has the praise.
Blows are what awaken us & help to break the dream. They show us the insufficiency of this world & make us long to escape, to have freedom.
Who makes us ignorant? We ourselves. We put our hands over our eyes and weep that it is dark.
Watch people do their most common actions; these are indeed the things that will tell you the real character of a great person.
Purity, patience, and perseverance are the three essentials to success and, above all, love.
Superstition is our great enemy, but bigotry is worse.
All differences in this world are of degree, and not of kind, because oneness is the secret of everything.
Swami Vivekananda Quotes on Emotions
If there is one word that you find coming out like a bomb from the Upanishads, bursting like a bombshell upon masses of ignorance. It is the word ‘fearlessness’.
The less passion there is, the better we work. The calmer we are the better for us and the more the amount of work we can do. When we let loose our feelings, we waste so much energy, shatter our nerves, disturb our minds, and accomplish very little work.
Condemn none: if you can stretch out a helping hand, do so. If not, fold your hands, bless your brothers, and let them go their own way.
As soon as you know the voice and understand what it is, the whole scene changes. The same world which was the ghastly battlefield of maya is now changed into something good and beautiful.
Knowledge can only be got in one way, the way of experience; there is no other way to know.
It is the cheerful mind that is persevering. It is the strong mind that hews its way through a thousand difficulties.
In one word, this ideal is that you are divine.
Every action that helps us manifest our divine nature more and more is good; every action that retards it is evil.
Fill the brain with high thoughts, highest ideals, place them day and night before you, and out of that will come great work.
That man has reached immortality who is disturbed by nothing material.
Swami Vivekananda was born in 1863 in Calcutta. His parents named him Narendranath Dutta, or Naren for short. As a young man, Vivekananda joined the course in philosophy at the Scottish Churches College of Calcutta (Kolkata), and also became a disciple of Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, a great mystic and devotee of Kali. Ramakrishna was a phenomenal enlightened being, and he saw great potential in Naren. Seeing his capability to percieve, Ramakrishna named him Vivekananda, where Viveka means perception in Sanskrit. Swami Vivekananda went out into the world to spread Ramakrishna Paramahamsa’s message. In 1893, he was invited to the World Parliament of Religions, in Chicago. As a representative of Hinduism. he gave several speeches to great acclaim within the Parliament and the world at large. He is credited with playing a big part in bringing an understanding of Hinduism to the Western mindset.
Vivekananda stressed the importance of coming together for the betterment of society and urged Indians to adopt the Indian culture and the path of Karma Yoga, or the yoga of action. According to this, the path to salvation lies through active work in this world in selfless devotion, with bothering about the fruits of one’s actions. The respect that Vivekananda gained in the western part of the world had a great impact on his Indian contemporaries. British ideas of the Hindu way of life had looked at it as a collection of superstitious nonsense and pointless ritualism. Vivekananda’s outspoken defense of the Hindu way of life and his explanation of various facets of Indian culture won him many admirers in the East and the West. He fired the imaganation of Indian youth and became a national hero. His ideals had a big influence on many Independence-era politicians. The great liberal, Gopal Krishna Gokhale, and the fervent socialist, Jawaharlal Nehru, both acknowledged their debts to Vivekananda in their later years.
Though Vivekananda praised the nobler ideas of the Hindu spiritual tradition, he was also an inveterate critic of certain discriminatory practices such as untouchability, which he characterized as a social custom not justified by religion. In 1887, Vivekananda founded the Ramakrishna Mission, as an organisation for the dissemination of Ramakrishna’s spiritual path. Vivekananda’s trips to several Western countries paved the way for the global spread of the Ramakrishna Mission. The Mission has published the eight volumes of his collected works, which contain his books on Bhakti Yoga, Jnana Yoga, Raja Yoga, and Karma Yoga, as well as his numerous speeches.