First Chapter Quotes
1. Dhitarashtra said : O Sanjaya, after my sons and the sons of Pandu Assembled in the place of pilgrimage at Kurukshetra, desiring to fight, what did they do.
2. Sanjaya said : O King, after looking over the army arranged in military formation by the sons of Pandu,King Duryodhan went to his teacher and spoke the following words.
3. Lord Krishna blew His conchshell, called Panchajanya; Arjuna blew his, the Devadatta; and Bhima,the voracious eater and performer of herculean tasks, below his terrific conchshell, called Paundra.
4. Arjuna said: O infallible one, please draw my chariot between the two armies so that I may see those present here, who desire to fight, and with whom I must contend in this great trial of arms.
5. I do not see how and good can come from killing my own kinsmen in this battle, nor can I, my dear Krishna, desire any subsequent victory, kingdom, or happiness.
6. Sin will overcome us if we slay such aggressors. Therefore it is not proper for us to kill the sons of Dhitarashtra and our friends. What should we gain, O Krishna, husband of the goddess of fortune, and how could we be happy by killing our own Kinsmen?
7. With the destruction of dynasty, the eternal family tradition is vanquished, and thus the rest of the family becomes involved in irreligion.
8. When irreligion is prominent in the family , Oh Krishna the women of the family become polluted, and from the degradation of womenhood, O descendant of Vrishni,comes unwanted progeny.
9. An increase of unwanted population certainly causes hellish life both for the family and for those who destroy the family tradition. The ancestors of such corrupt families fall down,because the performances for offering them food and water are entirely stopped.